It’s hard to believe that it’s already been 4 months since the launch of Love Public Speaking. It’s been quite a journey already – and a worthwhile one, because every day we help people overcome their fear of public speaking. So far, we’ve helped over 120 people on their journey to becoming a confident public speaker. It is amazing to see the shift in people’s confidence when they face their fears.
Love Public Speaking was founded because up until 5 years ago I had a debilitating fear of public speaking that was really holding me back. Even though I was outwardly confident, working as the Director of a conference business, I would freeze at the thought of having to speak to audiences. It didn’t matter if I was delivering a presentation to the Executive Board or speaking to an audience of 500 people. The night before a presentation I always lay awake worrying about it – and spent way too much time preparing, every time.
The problem spilled over into my private life, as my friends were starting to get married and I kept being asked to give speeches. Here is me giving a speech at my best friend’s wedding – the bit the photo doesn’t reveal is quite how tightly I am clinging to my notes!!
It took me five years to crack my fear of public speaking. It was hard work, but worth it – I built my confidence by attending various public speaking groups around London. I am now proud to say I can do it well. In fact.. I love it!
But friends… FIVE YEARS IS TOO LONG!
What I’ve learnt:
- Overcoming public speaking fear takes more than practising a few speaking techniques
- To see a real shift in how you present, you have to change the way you FEEL about public speaking
- It is possible to learn to enjoy it, and it is only when you reach this point that you get a REAL connection with your audience
That’s why our courses tackle nerves at a deeper level, as well as teaching you speaking techniques. I have designed our courses with painstaking levels of research, testing and feedback to ensure that:
- 80% of the day is spent speaking, rather than listening
- You break negative associations with public speaking using techniques from Neuro-Linguistic Programming and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- You continue your public speaking journey through follow up support, so that you see a real shift in your presenting style
I hope you’ll begin you public speaking journey soon, because life is too short for fear of public speaking.
“Our largest fear carries our greatest growth.”
This article was written by Carrie Swift.