After-School Public Speaking Club
Develop pupils’ presentation skills and confidence through a weekly club run by your own teachers
The Ofsted 2019 framework has announced that schools must be “bold and ambitious” in providing opportunities for personal development in students. Our fun and practical after-school club will develop your students’ presentation skills and confidence in communicating to prepare them for the next stage of education or life. And the best thing about it? Teachers from your own school can run it…
We’ll train your teacher(s) in how to run the club providing PowerPoint materials, videos and speaking exercises they can use. You could offer this club for free to your pupils, or charge parents a termly fee to generate ongoing funding for your school.
Pupils who join the club will…
- Develop strong presentation skills as they practise speaking in front of each other
- Build their social confidence
- Hone their literacy skills and vocabulary to become more articulate
- Become more emotionally resilient as they provide feedback to each other
- Learn how to debate, present, negotiate and build rapport with others
- Produce a presentation which they can present to their class / in an assembly
What age group is this aimed at?
The club is suitable for pupils of all ages as we adapt the material and speaking exercises accordingly.
What are the benefits to the school?
- Meet the new Ofsted requirements around providing opportunities for personal development
- Generate ongoing funding for your school – we offer suggested fee models
- Train your teachers to be better presenters too
- Improve students’ oracy skills
- Spend pupil premium funding on a club which can really help disadvantaged students
How does the training work?
We train your teacher(s) in a 2-day course made up of two parts:
(1) presentation skills training for the teachers so they can develop their own presenting skills and gravitas
(2) training in how to run the club, and deliver the training material to students
You can send 1 or 2 teachers on the training, but we recommend 2 so there is a back up if one person is no longer able to run the club.
What are the training options?
We can come to your school, if you are able to gather a few teachers together (from your school or other schools) to join the course.
Alternatively, your teacher(s) can attend a public course in London – these run once a quarter on dates which are mutually convenient for those who are interested. Please email email@example.com for further details.
How much material is there?
We provide enough modules of content to last one year (PowerPoint slides, videos and speaking exercises), before going back to Module 1 the following September. The material is designed so that pupils can join for the full year, or dip in and out of the club. Some of the topics covered include body language, voice techniques, storytelling, designing PowerPoint presentations, and building presenting confidence.
Our teachers are too busy – can you run the club for us?
If your school is based in London, we can send one of our trainers to run the club in your school.
We want to know more – what next?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0773 605 1566 and we’ll send through further information, options and prices.
This course is delivered as in-house training for schools, and also runs as a public course on dates that are mutually convenient for teachers. To register interest or be kept up to date with course dates, please submit your email address below:
“This is a fantastic club which has helped our pupils build their confidence and presenting skills so that they feel more comfortable speaking up in class, as well as to bigger audiences. All schools need this.”
B. Jackson, Physics Teacher, Margate School
“I believe there is so much benefit to public speaking training in schools and colleges. I can’t recommend Love Public Speaking highly enough, and would strongly urge school and college leaders to consider this for their staff and students.”
H. Parsons, Head of Classical Civilisation, St. Dominics College